Sunday, April 3, 2011

Firefly



I dreamt about a time
so very long ago
a time where peace and hope
ruled the sea, air, and land 

The nymphs, sprites, and mermaids 
danced throughout the days
and their laughter could be heard
over waters, hill, and wind

But darkness crowded my dreams
my childlike slumber turned to nightmare
the laughter of the innocent faded
as the rose fades once its bloomed

The centaurs and the unicorns were called
to protect the peace they loved
from sea came the mermen
and from the air the phoenix flew

The sword and scimitar clashed
the spears and horn thrust wild
and as the dust settled
it seemed no one had survived

I feared for the land of my dream
for if none had survived 
then the darkness would take over
the sea, land, and skies

But a movement in the waters
and on the body-strewn fields 
told me not all was lost
that the light could still prevail

Blood dripping off
sword, horn, and spear
the centaurs, unicorns, and mermen
making a last bold stand for light

The darkness screeched 
the sprites and wood nymphs fled
while the warriors held their guard
Against the dark and howling men

The outcome seemed so dim
with the sun blooded out by dark
but what the dark did not expect
was a tiny little light

This tiny firefly
a bug of no renown
was soon joined by thousands
and the dark was blotted out

As the cheers echoed around
I awoke with a start
my mind was in a whirlwind
“what did all of this mean?”

As I sat there in my bed and wondered
the meaning of my slumber
the moonlight streaming gently
made me look up to the sky

The night was illuminated
by the city and the moon
the stars struggled to twinkle
and I wondered about which came through

What made the stars so special
that they could come through light
created by the city
and the brilliant moonlight?

As I thought what this could mean for me
a thought went through my mind
“what if I’m the firefly,
that helped blot out the night?”

I had never thought of myself
as a warrior or a knight
but instead had always felt useless
in the war against the night

But a tiny little firefly,
that much I could see
because if I were a firefly
then useless I may not be

I may not be a fighter
but I do play a role
I am a part of the light
that protects the world from night

4 comments:

Serenity said...

This is my favorite so far!

Unknown said...

I'm really glad, because I actually took time and thought in writing this one, unlike the other two. Lol.

devondangers said...

Love it. Makes me reconsider my take on humanity.

Becca said...

This could very easily one of those epic poems on which Tolkien-esque novels are based.